October 18-19, 2018
University of Maryland, College Park
SocArXiv will host the second O3S: Open Scholarship for the Social Sciences symposium on October 18 and 19, 2018 at University of Maryland, College Park. The symposium will (a) highlight research that uses the tools and methods of open scholarship; (b) bring together researchers who work on problems of open access, publishing, and open scholarship; and (c) facilitate exchange of ideas on the development of SocArXiv.
The symposium will feature two keynote speakers: Elizabeth Popp Berman, associate professor of sociology at University at Albany, SUNY; and April Hathcock, Scholarly Communications Librarian at New York University.
We invite social science papers or presentations related to the following themes:
- Research on any topic that includes open scholarship components. This may entail a demonstration case showing how to do an open scholarship project, providing data and code for results, working with collaborators, or other examples of open scholarship in practice.
- Research about open scholarship itself. This may include mechanisms for making data and code public, workflow processes, publication considerations, citation metrics, or the tools and methods of open scholarship.
- Research about replication and transparency. This includes both replication studies and research about replication and reproducibility issues.
Submissions are due by June 30, 2018.
Submissions may include papers or other project materials. E-mail presentation information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the following information:
- Names of author(s)/presenter(s) and contact information.
- For non-paper presentations, include a brief description and rationale explaining how the paper fits within the themes and goals of the O3S Symposium.
- For paper submissions, upload your paper to SocArXiv and tag it #O3S18.
- Any AV needs beyond a laptop/projector.
- Travel stipends of $1,000 will be available to a limited number of presenters. Please indicate whether you would like to be considered for a travel award.
Presenters will be notified of the status of their submission via e-mail.
Visit the conference page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for information and updates. Anyone interested in open scholarship and SocArXiv is welcome to attend O3S. Registration will include a nominal fee. Information will be coming soon!
O3S is generously sponsored by the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences, the Department of Sociology, the Department of Psychology, and the University Libraries at the University of Maryland.
What Is SocArXiv?
SocArXiv, open archive of the social sciences, is a partner of the nonprofit Center for Open Science (COS) and is housed at the University of Maryland. SocArXiv provides a free and publicly accessible platform for social scientists to upload working papers, pre-prints, published papers, data, and code. SocArXiv is dedicated to opening up social science, to reach more people more effectively, to improve research, and build the future of scholarly communication. Since the development of SocArXiv was first announced in July 2016, researchers have deposited more than 2,100 papers.